Saturday, November 8, 2008

austin eats

















We were fortunate enough to get good sound dining advice for Austin. Of course we went to Threadgill's on N Lamar and had some chicken fried steak! We were urged to go here instead of the world headquarters location that was much closer to our hotel. Here are some other spots we tried:

  • Uchi: Yes, good sushi in landlocked Austin! This will also sound bizarre for a Japanese restaurant, but I loved our dessert: jizake crème caramel with brown butter sorbet & ginger consommé. I especially recommend this place if someone else is picking up the tab!

  • El Meson Taqueria: We went in search of good mexican at breakfast. This spot is out near the airport and trust me, if we are ever back in Austin, I will be back for lunch. The menu is cheap and delicious! If you want to hydrate like the rest of the patrons at breakfast, grab a glass bottle of coke to wash down your meal...
  • Saltlick: We got family style "all you can eat" bbq. Delicious! I'll never forget the smell as I got out of the car in what seemed like the middle of nowhere (driftwood).

    Up in Connecticut you don't see breakfast tacos... but we came across plenty of them on our trip. If you are departing on a morning flight out of Austin, there is a Saltlick outpost at the airport and you can design your own breakast taco before you hit the jetway.
  • Hula Hut: This is mexican meets polynesian fare on the shores of Lake Austin. I think the decor is more polynesian than the food! There sure is a lot of eye candy inside and out and I'd love to go back for happy hour. For a Monday we couldn't believe the amt of business lunching going on at this zany outdoor spot! We never did make it to chuy's or shady grove. They're on my list for next time
  • The Woodland: We didn't eat here, but we scored some fine cocktails and empanadas at the bar. This cool hipster spot is of course on S Congress and I loved the pies on display at the counter. I got a throwback vibe from the moody ligthing, like being in an Edward Hopper diner, but without the loneliness.

  • Jo's Coffee: This outdoor spot was right next to our hotel always seemed to be buzzing with locals getting their caffeine fix. I got my daily scone and coffee and retreated back to the HSJ courtyard which is further from the street and much quieter. Your people watching factor is greatly reduced though...
  • Vivo's: I went here with my cousin who works at UT, so I will confess, I thought we were going to Bevo's for Mexican! The outdoor patio looked very lush and inviting, but A/C was beckoning on this hot day. I had their puffy taco which may not be the most exciting thing in the world, but it's still was better than any mexican you can get in CT! Before leaving we were sure to check out the bathroom sinks, generously stocked with ice cubes and rose petals. We drove back to campus, roses by our side and passed El Chile, which is on my list for next time.

I never did try or Amy's Ice Cream or get to Central Market.
We still have a lot to try when we return to Austin!










Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home