Friday, December 26, 2008

what was, will be once more








On my husband's first family trip to Hawaii in 2005, we decided to soak up some sun on the Kohala Coastline. It was a spot I had only visited on day trips and we had such a wonderful stay that we found ourselves disappointed 2 years later when the hotel and golf course closed for $150M renovations after sustaining some damage in an earthquake. During our stay, it became clear that many of the other guests there are regulars who seem to know the longtime loyal staff. This resort holds a special place in our hearts, so I was thrilled to read that the Mauna Kea Beach Hotel just re-opened last weekend!

I also love the deep history of this hotel. Rewind to the 1960's, this lovely crescent shaped beach, sunny weather and picture perfect sunsets were the inspiration for Laurance S Rockefeller's foray in developing the Big Island coastline after the decline of the sugar cane industry. We stayed at another 1960's Rockefeller spot for our honeymoon (Little Dix Bay in Virgin Gorda, BVI) and Mr. Rockefeller certainly knows how to pick the best spots in town and put the concept of "experting" to work! The hotel's large pacific rim collection is beautifully displayed and easily accessible throughout the entire resort. For you architecture buffs, this is a 1966 SOM building. I've never quite felt the exterior met its task of "invisibility" in its natural surroundings , but once I experienced this property with the care-free days and relaxed curiosity of a hotel guest, I came to love the tiered open spaces and fascinating artwork around every corner.
















Another thing I love about this property is the Mauna Kea logo. The font manages to evoke the 1960's, it feels retro, but not dated. The orange flower is one of those instantly recognizable marks, no matter where you see it. Both are simply perfect for this hotel that finds the middleground of both old and new. I hope this quality remains after the renovation. I enjoyed this fall's advertising campaign to announce the re-opening. If you know this property, just a few japanese brushstrokes are all it takes to recognize this unforgettable landscape with Mauna Kea's summit rising above clouds.


Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Mrs.Loht said...

Hey Liz....I just found your blog...LOVE it! I will be sure to visit often. I love the first picture...How did you do that???

January 3, 2009 at 8:51 PM  
Blogger twilight@morningside said...

hey marie! we found a staircase that lead to the hotel rooftop on our last day, so I panned the camera, took a few shots and seamed them together in Photoshop back at home.

January 5, 2009 at 12:23 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home