Monday, August 24, 2009

Sofra.. So Delicious


































































The first I heard of Ana Sortun was about 4 years ago, when she won a James Beard award for Best Chef in the Northeast. I was intrigued by Oleana's Mediterranean and Turkish influenced menu. I eventually bought the chef's cookbook Spice: Flavors of the Eastern Mediterranean, but it languished on the bookshelf. I was way too intimidated by the shopping list required to tackle the exotic recipes in my kitchen.

Fast forward to June 2009. I headed to Beantown for conference and finally ate at Oleana! It was such a remarkable meal, filled with wonderful new flavors. Doug & Sip also mentioned the chef has a casual cafe in Cambridge serving wonderful baked goods, mezzes and flatbreads. I tried to visit before I left Boston, but it wasn't meant to be. Doug was busy (working, of all things), the rain was endless and it seemed awfully out of my way for lunch.

I've been plotting a trip to Sofra ever since my train pulled out of the Back Bay. Last week, just in the nick of time, I convinced Chrsitine we should make a detour before heading back from KW's baby shower. We sampled 5 mezzes and the lamb schwarma with cousa squash and yogurt and washed everything a perfect glass of mint iced tea. Next time I'm going to try the iced tea with pine nuts! My favorite dish is still the Moroccan carrot salad (also on the menu at Oleana). You can buy other prepared foods to-go and more ambitous home cooks may want to pick up spice packs and try re-creating a little Oleana magic at home.


Sofra Bakery
1 Belmont St
Cambridge, MA 02138-4404
(617) 661-3161
http://www.sofrabakery.com/

Oleana
134 Hampshire St
Cambridge, MA 02139-1421
(617) 661-0505
http://www.oleanarestaurant.com/

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home